Please read the terms and conditions of the competition, A safer, cleaner environmental future: the CRC CARE High School Essay Competition, before entering. Competition entrants must write a 500- to 1000-word essay on either (1) chemical contamination and its effect on food quality and human health ($1000 prize); or (2) contamination of our planet: how can we ensure a clean and safe environment for future generations? ($500 prize).
1. Information on how to participate in the “A safer, cleaner environmental future: the CRC CARE High School Essay Competition” (“Campaign”) forms part of these terms and conditions. Entry into this Campaign is deemed acceptance of these terms and conditions. Each essay will be judged on its quality (see clause 5); chance plays no part in determining the successful participants.
2. The Campaign commences on 01/06/2017 at 9:00am (AEST) and closes on 13/08/2017 at 11.59pm AEST.
3. Participation in the Campaign is open to all Australian students in Years 7 to 12.
4. Eligible Participants enter the Campaign by downloading the entry form on the CleanUp2017 website (www.cleanupconference.com/essay-competition), completing the entry form and, by 13 August 2017, either:
Students will need to confirm their parent/legal guardian’s permission to enter the Campaign, as noted on the entry form. Eligible Participants may only enter one essay.
5. Eligible Participants must include an essay, between 500 and 1000 words in length. This information will be put forward for judging by the judging panel. Entries will be judged in accordance with these terms and conditions and on the criteria of writing quality, interest, newsworthiness, scientific accuracy, originality, creativity, and appropriateness.
6. Entries must be the original independent creation of the Eligible Participant and free of any claims, including but not limited to copyright or trade mark claims, by any other parties.
Entries must not:
6.1 have been published previously;
6.2 have won prizes or awards in other competitions;
6.3 be restricted in any way; or
6.4 infringe any third party rights.
7. Incomprehensible, late, or incomplete entries will be deemed invalid and therefore ineligible to enter the Campaign.
8. The prizes in this Campaign are as follows:
Winner of the Dr Roneal Naidu award for writing on chemical contamination and its effect on food quality and human health:
Winner of the CRC CARE award for writing on contamination of our planet: how can we ensure a clean and safe environment for future generations?:
9. Other than the cash prize component, prizes are not transferable or redeemable for cash. Any unclaimed prizes not claimed by 31/09/2017 will be forfeited.
10. Prize winners must be accompanied to the CleanUp 2017 conference gala dinner by a parent/legal guardian, at their parent/guardian’s own expense.
11. CRC CARE reserves the right to confirm and verify the identity of all prize winners by requesting the person to provide proof of age, proof of identity, proof of residency, proof of school attended and year/grade and proof that they (or their parent/legal guardian) submitted the entry. Identification considered suitable for verification is at the absolute discretion of CRC CARE.
12. CRC CARE reserves the right to verify the validity of entries and to disqualify any entry which, in the opinion of CRC CARE, includes objectionable content, profanity, potentially insulting, inflammatory, libellous or defamatory statements, disqualify any entrant who submits an entry that is not in accordance with these terms and conditions or who has, in the opinion of CRC CARE, engaged in conduct in entering the Campaign which is fraudulent, misleading, deceptive or generally damaging to the goodwill or reputation of the Campaign and/or CRC CARE, or who CRC CARE has reason to believe has engaged in any activity calculated to jeopardise the fair and proper conduct of the Campaign. The CRC CARE reserves the right, in its absolute discretion, to disqualify an entrant if CRC CARE becomes aware that the entrant and/or their entry is of a type described in this condition. CRC CARE’s legal rights to recover damages or other compensation from such a person are also reserved.
13. The Eligible Participants whose entries are chosen by the judging panel may be invited by CRC CARE to participate in media activities (as determined by CRC CARE), including but not limited to, being interviewed and photographed, filmed and/or chaperoned, and having their name and photograph published in any newspapers, publications, CRC CARE newsletters or press releases, or the CRC CARE website at the absolute discretion of CRC CARE. By submitting an entry, Eligible Participants agree that if their entry is chosen by the judging panel, they will participate in and co-operate as required with all reasonable media editorial requests made by CRC CARE. Other than the cash prize component of the winning entries, CRC CARE will not pay the Eligible Participant any monetary prize, fee or compensation for their entry. CRC CARE is not obliged to invite any Eligible Participants whose entry is chosen to participate in any such media campaign and the invitation is at the absolute discretion of the CRC CARE.
14. By submitting an entry, each Eligible Participant agrees that the essay they have submitted may be displayed at the CRC CARE CleanUp 2017 Conference and that the Eligible Participant will not be entitled to any monetary prize, fee or compensation for such use. By submitting an entry, the Eligible Participant whose entries are chosen by the judging panel acknowledge and agree that the CRC CARE has all right, title and interest in and to the entry. The Eligible Participants whose entries are chosen by the judging panel acknowledge and agree that the CRC CARE is free to use the entry and to exercise its rights in relation thereto and that the Eligible Participants will not be entitled to any monetary prize, fee or compensation for such use.
15. The Eligible Participants whose entries are chosen permit their image and/or voice, as recorded, photographed or filmed, to appear in connection with media or the advertising or marketing thereof, in any media whatsoever throughout the world and the entrant will not be entitled to any fee for such use.
16. Entries received by the CRC CARE will be judged by a judging panel. Judging will take place during the period from 14/08/2017 at 9.00am until 1/09/2017 at 5.00pm.
17. The public will be notified, via the website of the CRC CARE at www.cleanupconference.com/essay-competition after the decision of the judging panel of the winning name and all prize winners. The prize winners will be notified by telephone or email after the decision of the judging panel of the winning name and all prize winners.
18. CRC CARE accepts no responsibility for lost, late, incomplete, incorrectly submitted or misdirected entries, including entries not received by the CRC CARE or delays in the delivery of an online entry due to technical disruptions, network congestion or for any other reason.
19. Should an Eligible Participant’s contact details change during the period of the Campaign, it is the Eligible Participant’s responsibility to notify CRC CARE. A request to access, modify or delete any information provided in an entry should be directed to the firstname.lastname@example.org.
20. All decisions of CRC CARE and the judging panel are final. The CRC CARE and the judging panel will not enter into any discussions or correspondence regarding the final decision.
21. In the case of the intervention of any outside act, agent or event which prevents or significantly hinders CRC CARE’s ability to proceed with the Campaign on the dates and in the manner described in these terms and conditions, including but not limited to vandalism, power failures, tempests, natural disasters, acts of God, civil unrest, strike, CRC CARE may, in its absolute discretion, cancel the Campaign and recommence it from the start on the same terms and conditions, subject to any written directions given from the various State or Territory Government authorities (where required).
22. CRC CARE will not be liable for any loss or damage whatsoever which is suffered (including but not limited to indirect or consequential loss), or for any personal injury suffered or sustained in connection with this Campaign except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law. CRC CARE, assumes no responsibility for any incorrect or inaccurate information, either caused by an entrant or as a result of any of the systems, equipment or programming associated with or utilised in this Campaign, or for any technical or human error, or any combination thereof that may occur in the course of the administration of this Campaign including any omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line, computer line, telephone or satellite network failure, software, server or provider failure, theft or destruction or unauthorised access to or alteration of entries, and reserves the right to take any action that may be available.
23. If, for any reason, the Campaign is not capable of running as planned, including but not limited to, due to infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorised intervention, fraud, technical failures or any causes beyond the control of CRC CARE, which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness or integrity or proper conduct of this Campaign, CRC CARE reserves the right in its sole discretion to take any action that may be available, and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Campaign, subject to any written directions given from the various State or Territory Government authorities (where required).
24. All entries become the property of CRC CARE. By entering this Campaign, Eligible Participants confirm that they allow their details to be used for the purposes of the Campaign as set out in these terms and conditions. If an Eligible Participant no longer consents to their details being used for these purposes, the Eligible Participant should contact email@example.com. Any request to update, modify or delete the Eligible Participant’s details should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
25. CRC CARE is collecting the Eligible Participants’ personal information for the purposes of conducting and promoting this Campaign. If you are not willing for this to occur you cannot participate in this Campaign.
26. Enquiries about the competition should be directed to: Dr Simon Torok, email@example.com.